The second annual season will run from September 16 – October 15, with races every Saturday and Sunday at 1 PM.
Opening Weekend Entries Will Be Accepted Wednesday September 13
The draw for Saturday will take place on Wednesday, and Sunday’s draw is on Thursday. Virginia Breeders’ Two Year Old Championship races will highlight action on opening day. Post time for both performances is at 1 PM.
The track is located in Woodstock, Virginia at Exit 283 off I-81.
All owners, trainers, drivers, and grooms participating in the Shenandoah Downs races are required to be licensed by the Virginia Racing Commission (VRC). The easiest way to obtain a license is by going to the Commission’s website at www.vrc.virginia.gov and clicking on “Virginia Racing License” in the upper left hand side of the home page or by clicking here. You will then see a list of documents including the “Racing Application for Participants”, “General Application Instructions, “Fee Schedule”, and “Credit Cart Verification Form”. Simply print out the application and complete it by referring to the fee schedule and general instructions. Once the application is completed, signed, and dated you may either mail it along with the appropriate payment to:
5707 Huntsman Road, Suite 201-B
Richmond, VA 23250
You may also scan the application along with the “Credit Card Verification Form” and email to VRCLicense@VRC.Virginia.gov.
If you would like your badge mailed to you before the races, your application and payment must be received by August 28th, otherwise badges will be distributed at the VRC table in the Lilly Barn. The VRC will be on site in the Lilly Barn on Wednesday, September 13th from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Thursday. September 14th from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and on Friday, September 15th from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. for licensing or picking up badges. (Please note: All licensing must be completed before participating in a race)
If you have any questions or require assistance with this process, please contact Rhonda Davis at (804) 966-7415.
Other key links:
Here is information for the 4 day County Race Meet that runs from August 30 – September 2. POST-TIME 1:00 PM
Due To Limited Stabling During The Fair, Horses that are racing in overnights races can arrive between Noon – Sunday, August 27, 2017 and Friday, September, 1, 2017 for stalls . Horses that are racing only on Saturday, September 2, 2017 will not have stalls available until the Friday race card is over. Horse’s arrival for overnight races Sunday August 27, 2017 understand the Track Will Not Open until Tuesday Morning for jogging. Each race is to go two Heats, a distance of 1 mile each; failure to race second Heat purse money will be for forfeited. Must Have 4 horses to start in all overnight races. Please Use Online Entry.
Wednesday, August 30, 2017
BOX closes Monday @ 11:00 am
Sub. 1. Trot- Va. PREF. 2-year olds (Must Have 4 to Start) 1-Dash Purse $800.00
Sub. 2. Pace-Va. PREF. 2-year olds (Must Have 4 to Start) 1-Dash Purse $800.00
3. Trot- Non-Winners $2,500 Last 5 Starts-(AE) Maidens and 3-year olds Purse $1,000.00
4. Pace-(Rocking Rose Pace) – Non-Winners$2,500 Last 4 Starts (AE) Maidens and 3-year olds Purse $1000.00
Thursday, August 31, 2017
Box CLOSES Tuesday @ 11:00 AM
1. Pace – Non-Winners $10,000 in 2017 Purse $1,000.00
2. Trot-Bernard Offutt Memorial Open Trot Purse $1,200.00
Sub. 3 –Trot – 5 Year Old and under (Must Have 4 to Start) Purse $1,000.00
4. Pace – Aldine Jenkins Memorial Open Pace Purse $1,200.00
Sub. 5 – Pace – 5 Year Old and under (Have 4 to Start) Purse $1,000.00
Friday September 1, 2017
(Box closes Wednesday @ 11:00 AM)
1. Pace-Non-Winners $5000 Last 5 Starts (Princess Rose Pace) Purse $1,000.00
2. Trot-Non-Winners $10,000 Last 5 starts Purse $1,000.00
3. Pace-Non-Winners $10,000 Last 5 starts Purse $1,000.00
4. Trot – Non-Winners $5,000 Last 5 Starts Purse $1,000.00
Saturday, September 2, 2017
(BOX CLOSES Thursday @ 11:00 AM)
1. Trot- Marvin G. Sigler – Free For All Trot Purse $1,500.00
2. Pace-C R Associates – Veterans Free For All Pace- Purse $1,500.00
3. Trot – Non-Winners of Meet winners over $5,000 in 2017 not eligible Purse $800.00
4. Pace – Non-Winners of Meet, winners over $5,000 in 2017 not eligible Purse $800.00
2 & 3 YEAR OLD ELIMINATION/PREP RACES SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 2ND
Box Closes Thursday @ 11:00 AM – Please Use OnLine Entry
5. Pace -Two Year old Colt – Virginia Breeders Fund Stakes Elimination/Prep. Purse $2,000.00
6. Pace – Two Year old Filly – Virginia Breeders Fund Stakes Elimination/Prep. Purse $2,000.00
7. Trot – Two Year old Colt – Virginia Breeders Fund Stakes Elimination/Prep. Purse $2,000.00
8. Trot – Two Year old Filly – Virginia Breeders Fund Stakes Elimination/Prep. Purse $2,000.00
9. Pace – Three Year Old Colt – Virginia Breeders Fund Stakes Elimination / Prep Purse $2,000.00
10. Pace – Three Year Old Filly – Virginia Breeders Fund Stakes Elimination/Prep. Purse $2,000.00
11. Trot – Three Year Old Colt – Virginia Breeders Fund Stakes Elimination/ Prep Purse $2,000.00
12. Trot – Three Year Old Filly – Virginia Breeders Fund Stakes Elimination/Prep. Purse $2,000.00
2 & 3 YEAR OLD ELIMINATION/PREP RACES SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 2ND
PURSES FOR THE ELIMINATION/ PREP RACES ARE $2,000.00.
ALL HORSES MUST BE ENTERED IN ELIMINATION / PREP RACES TO BE ELIGIBLE TO RACE IN THE FINALS.
EIGHT PLUS ENTRIES CONSTITUTE AN ELIMINATION RACE.
EIGHT OR LESS ENTRIES CONSTITUTE A PREP RACE.
IF YOU ARE NOT YET QUALIFIED YOU MAY USE THESE RACES TO QUALIFY.
YOU MUST HAVE A CHARTED FLAT LINE THIRTY (30 DAYS) PRIOR TO THE FINALS TO BE ELIGIBLE TO RACE.
SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO SCRATCH YOUR HORSE FROM AN ELIMINATION RACE YOU MAY BE ABLE TO RACE IN THE FINALS BUT WILL BE PLACED ON THE AE LIST.
IF YOU SCRATCH YOUR HORSE FROM PREP RACE YOUR ARE STILL ELIGIBLE TO RACE IN THE FINALS.
REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU CHOOSE TO DO YOU MUST ENTER IN THE PREP/ELIMINATION RACE AND ARE OBLIGATED TO PAY THE DECLARATION FEE WHETHER YOU RACE IN THE FINALS
Rules of United States Trotting Association govern, unless otherwise specified. Entry fees $15.00
Money divided 45, 25, 15, 10, and 5 percent. Each class is to go two heats, a distance of 1 mile each. Two or more horses under the same ownership may start in any race. Horses will start in classes in which they are eligible, (VHHA Member Preferred). (Stabling Limited)
Rights reserved to decline an entry, or call off any event that does not fill satisfactory. If an event does not fill, a substitute event may be scheduled for available horses. Right reserved to cancel any race due to weather conditions, or other good or sufficient cause. Four or more horses must start each class. Right reserved to handicap any race.
Horses must be declared in no later than 11:00 am two days prior to races and entrance fee paid.
Right reserved to declare any race off at any time. All horses racing and stalled at Shenandoah County Fairgrounds are at risk of owner. The Shenandoah County Fair Association, Inc., will not be responsible or liable for any accident to any person or property or loss by fire, theft, storm, or from any other causes. All horses must have a current Coggins test and health papers available for inspection upon request. Driver Accident Insurance Is Not Provided. Entries Accepted On These Terms Only.
Entries: Terry Lee Kibler, Cell 540-335-8768 / Beginning August, 27, call Race Office 540-459-7303