The following appeared in The Paulick Report May 17.
Fans can wager the 147th running of the Preakness Stakes in advance on Friday May 20 and all day Saturday until post time of 7:00 PM. Bet the big race at any VA-Horseplay Off Track Betting Center in Henrico (Breakers Sports Grille) and Chesapeake (Buckets Bar & Grill), at any Rosie’s Gaming Emporium in Richmond, New Kent, Vinton, Collinsville, Hampton and Dumfries and online via TVG.com, Xpressbet.com, Twinspires.com and NYRABets.com.
NBC Sports’ Triple Crown horse racing continues this weekend with live coverage of the 147th Preakness Stakes this Saturday, May 21, at 4 p.m. ET on NBC and Peacock. For the first time, Telemundo Deportes will present a Triple Crown race, with live coverage beginning Saturday at 6:30 p.m. ET on Universo.
Coverage from Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Md., begins this Friday, May 20, at 5 p.m. ET on USA Network with the 98th running of the Black-Eyed Susan Stakes, and continues Saturday at 2 p.m. ET on CNBC. Over the two days, NBC Sports will cover nine races live.
Saturday’s Preakness Stakes field is expected to include Kentucky Derby runner-up Epicenter (6-5) and fourth-place finisher Simplification (6-1). Also running in Saturday’s field are Secret Oath (9-2), a filly trained by D. Wayne Lukas who won the Kentucky Oaks two weeks ago, Early Voting (7-2), who placed second in the Wood Memorial (G2) and Creative Minister (10-1).
Highlights of NBC Sports’ Preakness Stakes coverage include:
- Seven live races on Saturday (four in the NBC/Peacock Preakness Stakes show)
- A historic look at the fillies who have won the Preakness Stakes as Secret Oath enters Saturday’s field as a favorite
- Feature on trainer Steve Asmussen, the winningest trainer in North America, who trains Saturday’s favorite, Epicenter
- A conversation among NBC Sports’ analysts regarding the future of Triple Crown scheduling and the timing between races in light of the decision by Rich Strike’s connections not to run the horse in the Preakness Stakes
- Meet the Preakness Contenders
- Celebrity picks for the 147th Preakness Stakes
- Review of the thrilling Kentucky Derby, featuring Rich Strike’s historic victory as an 80-1 longshot and audio from Rich Strike trainer Eric Reed, jockey Sonny Leon, and more
- Tim Layden narrates an essay on trainer and U.S. Racing Hall of Famer D. Wayne Lukas, who has won the Preakness Stakes six times and is running Secret Oath this weekend
- Overhead plane camera
- Multiple jockey cams
- A camera focused on race caller Larry Collmus
- In addition, musicians The Chainsmokers, Marshmellow, and Moneybagg Yo will rock the infield with performances of their biggest hits throughout the broadcast.
COMMENTATORS: NBC Sports’ coverage of the Preakness Stakes features host Mike Tirico; analysts Randy Moss and Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey, a two-time Preakness Stakes winner; host/reporter Ahmed Fareed; handicapper Matt Bernier; reporters Donna Brothers, Britney Eurton, Nick Luck, and Kenny Rice; and race caller Larry Collmus.
Steve Kornacki, NBC News’ celebrated national political correspondent, joins NBC Sports’ Preakness Stakes coverage as an insights analyst for the second consecutive year. NBC Sports’ Tim Layden will deliver an essay.
The Preakness Stakes is produced by Lindsay Schanzer and Billy Matthews and is directed by Kaare Numme. Executive producer and president, NBC Sports Production is Sam Flood.
PREAKNESS STAKES (ALL TIMES ET)
Date Time Event Platform
Fri., May 20 5 p.m. Black-Eyed Susan USA Network
Sat., May 21 2 p.m. Preakness Stakes early races CNBC
Sat., May 21 4 p.m. 147th Preakness Stakes NBC, Peacock, Universo
BELMONT STAKES (ALL TIMES ET)
Date Time Event Platform
Sat., June 11 3 p.m. Belmont Stakes early races CNBC
Sat., June 11 5 p.m. 154th Belmont Stakes NBC, Peacock
PREAKNESS STAKES COVERAGE ON NBCSPORTS.COM & THE NBC SPORTS APP
NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app will stream live coverage to desktops, mobile, tablets, and connected TVs via authentication, giving consumers additional value to their subscription service, and making high-quality content available to MVPD customers both in and out of the home and on multiple platforms. The full HD-quality video stream will come directly from NBC’s broadcasts. NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app are available on the iTunes App Store, Google Play, Windows Store, Roku Channel Store, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Samsung Smart TVs, Xbox, and Chromecast.
NBC SPORTS AUDIO PREAKNESS STAKES COVERAGE
The NBC Sports Audio Network will present live Preakness Stakes coverage, produced by SiriusXM, on Saturday, May 21 beginning at 10 a.m. ET on NBC Sports Audio (channel 85 on SiriusXM radios and the SXM App) with a special edition of SiriusXM’s Down The Stretch, hosted by Dave Johnson and Bill Finley. NBC Sports’ coverage of the Preakness Stakes from Pimlico Race Course begins at 6 p.m. ET. NBC Sports’ Larry Collmus will handle the live race call. NBC Sports and SiriusXM also teamed to produce audio coverage of the 148th Kentucky Derby on May 7.