News

Virginia Horse Center In Lexington Sees Financial Benefits From Horse Race Wagering

In pari-mutuel wagering, 80% of a wagering pool (on average) is paid back to bettors while the remaining 20% is considered “takeout”. The takeout rate is the percentage of each wagering pool that is withheld by the track. This money is used to pay for many things including purses for races, for operating the facility … Continue reading Virginia Horse Center In Lexington Sees Financial Benefits From Horse Race Wagering

Virginia Standardbred Breeder’s Early Closer Sustaining Payments Now Due 7/15 Instead Of 5/15

(WOODSTOCK, VA —- 4/23/20) —- The Virginia Harness Horsemen’s Association (VHHA) announced that the deadline to submit sustaining payments for two and three-year-old horses in the Virginia Breeder’s Early Closer program, originally due on May 15, has been extended to July 15.  The fee is $200 per horse. Nomination payments ($200) were previously due on … Continue reading Virginia Standardbred Breeder’s Early Closer Sustaining Payments Now Due 7/15 Instead Of 5/15

On Line Betting In Virginia Up 9.3% For First Quarter; 5 U.S. Tracks Still Running

While tracks, OTBs and locally — Rosie’s Gaming Emporiums — began shutting down throughout the month of March, Virginia-based horseplayers had only one wagering option left as effects from Covid-19 took a toll on the sport. Four on-line betting partner companies continued to operate and display available product, which diminished greatly though, as March rolled … Continue reading On Line Betting In Virginia Up 9.3% For First Quarter; 5 U.S. Tracks Still Running

Virginia Certified Horses Join Polo Pony Population At Powhatan Plantation In King George, Virginia

Powhatan Plantation in King George is one of many Virginia farms/training centers that is wrapping their arms around the Virginia Thoroughbred Association (VTA) and Virginia Harness Horse Association (VHHA) Certified Residency bonus initiative programs, which bring young horses into the state to be raised for a six month period of time before they begin racing. … Continue reading Virginia Certified Horses Join Polo Pony Population At Powhatan Plantation In King George, Virginia

Gulfstream, Tampa Bay Downs, Oaklawn & More Still Available To Bet On Line

Attention Horseplayers — As the calendar rolls into mid and late April, there are still a handful of thoroughbred tracks that are running! Virginia residents can wager these tracks seven days a week via four partner on line betting companies: TVG.com, Xpressbet.com, Twinspires.com and NYRABets.com. On April 11, Oaklawn had their biggest wagering day in … Continue reading Gulfstream, Tampa Bay Downs, Oaklawn & More Still Available To Bet On Line

VA Breeders Award Update – Virginia-Sired Mr. Buff Named 2019 Horse of the Year

For the past two-weeks, a different Virginia Breeders Awards winner has been announced at www.vabred.org and via the Virginia Thoroughbred Association’s facebook page. The award recipients will be recognized at a reception Friday June 19 at Great Meadow, the evening before the rescheduled Virginia Gold Races on June 20. Congratulations to 2019 Horse of the … Continue reading VA Breeders Award Update – Virginia-Sired Mr. Buff Named 2019 Horse of the Year

MATCH Series For 2020 Canceled; Stakes Were Scheduled For Aug. 15 At Colonial Downs

The following speared on the MATCH Series website on April 8, 2020. It was written by Tom LaMarra. Colonial Downs had been scheduled to host a round of five $100,000 MATCH Series stakes races on Saturday August 15.  By Tom LaMarra The partners in the highly acclaimed Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred Championships Series (MATCH), during an April … Continue reading MATCH Series For 2020 Canceled; Stakes Were Scheduled For Aug. 15 At Colonial Downs

Chowda Tops List of First Quarter Bonus Winners In VTA’s Certified Residency Program

Chowda, a 3-year-old Virginia-Certified colt, who was one of 108 horses to win a bonus award in the first quarter of 2020 as part of the VTA’s residency program initiative. The New York bred earned a capped reward of $10,000 — highest of any — from a victory in the $100,000 Gander Stakes (black-type) at … Continue reading Chowda Tops List of First Quarter Bonus Winners In VTA’s Certified Residency Program

Green Group Breaks Down Impact Of Coronavirus Aid, Relief & Economic Security Act On Racing Industry

The following appeared in Thoroughbred Daily News on March 31. By Len Green Editor’s note: The Thoroughbred racing industry is covered under legislation passed in Washington to bolster an economy that has been hard hit by the coronavirus. To clarify what is available to racing participants, the NTRA held a teleconference Wednesday which included tax … Continue reading Green Group Breaks Down Impact Of Coronavirus Aid, Relief & Economic Security Act On Racing Industry